So I'm on this journey to refocusing...
I still remember the day I said to myself, "Ang, something has to give!" I was determined to end this crazy phase I was in and get my life together. That same day, I decided to write a list I called the "Refocus Fast." On this list, I included habits that I would remove from my life and some items that I'd add into my daily routine.
I wasn't going to share that list because it's so personal to me, but it wouldn't be helpful to anyone for me to be secretive. Plus, it's MY blog so why not be transparent!? Here goes nothing.
This is my list of things to remove:
- NO sex!
- NO smoking! [tree - no tobacco, ew!]
- NO drinking! [not even wine, smh]
- NO Netflix! [this one hurt the most]
These items should help me get focused:
- Read [books, blogs, & devotions]
Originally, this "Refocus Fast" was only supposed to last for about 2 weeks, ending on February 1. After I got some clear signs from God...yea, I think I'm gonna stick with this fast for a while.
I'm learning that sometimes you have to cut certain people and bad habits out of your life to be able to focus on what's really important. I'm only about 12 days into this fast and so far, I have had several revelations.
- Celibacy - I have been celibate before, for personal reasons. This time I'm celibate so that I can gain clarity, discipline and discernment. Sex can cloud your judgment and influence you in ways that you don't even realize. Every time you have sex with someone, you give them access to areas of yourself that should be guarded and protected until marraige. It's time for me to cleanse my spirit and focus on getting closer to God, so sex has to go! That's an easy one. CUT!
- Good Vibe Tribe - This may be cliche, but it is so true that you really have to keep the right people around you! I allowed a lot of people to enter my life who added NO value and influenced me negatively, encouraging irresponsible behaviors. Those were the first people to go during this fast - DELETE! I realized that as important as it is to remove the negative people, it's more essential to keep the positive, supportive people around. I realized that I was avoiding my friends during my time of being unfocused because I was ashamed. Shame is CUT! Good vibes only.
- Distractions - The bible says that the enemy comes to kill, steal, and destroy. In my life, he comes to DISTRACT! I seriously can get distracted by the smallest things. Shoot, one distraction led me to 3 whole months of being unfocused! The enemy thought he won that battle but he was wrong. To cut the distractions, I have deleted apps, turned off notifications, deleted phone numbers, and so much more. I refuse to be that distracted again. CUT!
So when will this fast end? Who knows! I'm going to stick with it until I forget that I'm fasting.
Moral of the story: Want to get refocused? Figure out what you need to remove from your life and make the decision to CUT IT!